A Singing Tree is a school-wide, community- building art project that adds to positive school climate using creativity, collaboration, and innovation.
The Singing Tree Project was inspired by an 8 year-old child’s vision of the whole world making a painting together. The collaborative mural process, where a group of 50 to 1500 people add their vision to a cohesive whole, provides a creative structure for the genius of your community to be expressed. Artistic leaders of any age choose a tree to honor, come up with a driving question, design the overall image, paint the background on wood and prepare the pieces for others. Each participant creates an image on paper – a leaf, bird, star, part of the trunk or part of the earth – sharing their vision in response to the driving question. The individual art works are then fitted onto the larger image to create a unified whole. Since 1999, 40 Singing Tree murals have been made with more than 16,000 people from 50 countries. The Singing Trees are a visual model of democracy and a vehicle for peace building. Science, math, English, social sciences, emotional intelligence and art standards can all be met through this project.
How It Works:
- Sign-up using the form below
- Choose community leaders to drive the project and begin the creative process
- We facilitate a student training session, encouraging leadership and communication whil transforming individual designs into a unified composition
- School wide collaboration on a large scale, one-of-a-kind artwork, an expression of collective vision of success, fostering interconnection through the joyful process of cooperative teamwork.
- We share the art, celebrate the research findings from the driving question, tell the stories of innovative actions, and view videos documenting the process of the project.
- Finally we tell other people about the art we created, sharing imagery and videos, bringing attention to the driving question as well as your school’s empowering approach to education
How we’re making a difference
- 16,000 people from 50 countries have contributed to a Singing Tree
- More than 40 Trees exist in the global Singing Tree Forest
- Revitalized hope and faith among staff and students
- Healed divisions between conflicting groups
- Reduced bullying while promoting academic excellence
- Increased attendance and engagement by students
What We Offer
- A creative, engaging and fun way to meet STEAM and Common Core Standards
- Training in Leadership, Teamwork, Critical Thinking and Creativity
- Facilitation of an uplifting work of art that provokes a sense of belonging, kindness, care and connection to Nature
- Amplifying the school efforts to be an all-inclusive, trusting and expressive environment
- A Social And Emotional Learning program
What’s this all about?The Singing Tree Project is a collaborative arts project in which a group of people work together to paint and collage a symbolic work reflecting the community’s desire to overcome a negative issue being addressed. This unique tool brings awareness to a wide range of social issues by envisioning positive solutions and sparking innovative actions. Each of the participants creates one or more pieces of the collective work, most importantly a unique leaf expressing their artistic vision of peace, as well as other elements such as birds, stars or butterflies to complement the mural. Individual pieces are then combined into a collage and fitted onto the overall image, the tree of choice, atop the earth in space, to create an uplifting and inspiring finished piece. Artistic leaders of any age choose a tree to honor, come up with a driving question, design the overall image, paint the background on wood and prepare the pieces for others. Each participant creates an image on paper – a leaf, bird, star, part of the trunk or part of the earth – sharing their vision of the answer to the driving question. These are fitted onto the overall image by the lead group. Since 1999, 40 murals have been made with over 16,000 people from 50 countries. The Singing Trees are a visual model of democracy and a vehicle for peace building. Science, math, English, social sciences, emotional intelligence and art standards can all be met through this project.
The Impact We’ve MadeSinging Tree is about connection. Connecting students in their schools and across continents as we bridge cultural, religious, and racial boundaries to inspire and enrich the lives of all participants.
- Rival gangs have worked together
- Different generations have worked together
- Students from different countries have worked together
- Suburban and Inner city students have worked together
- Long-term Connections to build a more peaceful world have been created
- To create a lasting, uplifting work of art for the school or community to enjoy
- To increase the understanding of ecology, including the interdependence of human beings and trees
- To learn artistic skills such as drawing, painting, 3D rendering, color theory and perspective
- To learn the communication skills of listening, expressing needs and giving feedback
- To gain experience in applied mathematics as participants enlarge a study on a gridded and numbered wall